You know that Julie Andrews song, "Do, Re, Me..." and it starts, "Let's start at the very beginning. A very good place to start..."? I think that is the only way I can catch up on all that has happened in the short span of a month.
Firstly, we began the season with the annual school Christmas Concert. Jeff and I practically sat alone the whole time. All the children were on the stage singing their hearts out. Of course, we were so late getting there that we had to sit WAY in the back and even my super zoom lens couldn't get a great picture of the kids. Megan and Haley were hiding behind the teachers most of the time and it was difficult to see them. But, they all sounded beautiful and I got all choked up during the last song. It has got to be my most favorite thing the school does each year.
Then it was time for the yearly trip to see the Temple lights. It wasn't as cold this time, we got to join/tag along with the Weir family and participate in their tradition of stopping for Dairy Queen afterwards! Sounds like it may have to become our tradition too. It was supposed to be a Young Women's activity, but as luck would have it, my car ended up with no extra girls and so it became just a family trip...just the way I like it.
We forgot the camera and had to rely on our phones for pictures...can you just see the light in our eyes. We were so filled with the spirit of Christmas. (Will I get struck down for that?) I guess I could have photo shopped the eyes, but why? It will teach me to remember my camera next time!
Christmas Eve came. With Wendy gone, Dave and I decided to have a "Mexican" themed evening complete with Dave's famous tacos, Cafe Posada salsa and lots of dips for chips. We even threw in a few eclairs and some fudge just to keep with tradition. It was warm enough to play outside and when the darkness settled and we had spent plenty of time tracking Santa, we dressed up for the Nativity Scene/skit. It wasn't fancy, but it brought the spirit.
Christmas morning, a full family room, happy children, and even a mouse that was stirring (another story completely). For the first time in years, Jeff didn't have anything to put together. So, as soon as the kiddos had written their letter to Santa, put cookies out and fallen asleep, Jeff and I sat down and watched a movie. It was WONDERFUL! The next morning, didn't even start that early. Paige was the first to wake AT 7:30!!! It really was a wonderful holiday! We opened presents, played with new toys, had a small but delicious dinner and basically enjoyed a quiet peaceful Christmas day as a family. Did I mention I loved it! We did miss having so much family around. I had to eat all the food by myself, and my pants aren't very happy with me right now.
After a week of relaxation, we headed west to visit all grandparents. We stopped in 29 for a visit with Grandma and Grandpa Gray. More presents and lots of love, we hated to leave but we were due at a birthday celebration/New Year's eve party in Mission Viejo. We celebrated Aaron's birthday and New Years with lots of food, smoky sparklers, some great paper lanterns, and many rounds of Just Dance! The New Year came before we even knew to get tired.
When the new year came, it was also time to remember 8 years ago when two little girls joined our family. In remembrance of that we headed to Disneyland ( of which we had gone 1 week before they were born). Sarah and Luke, Grandma and Grandpa Dunyon, Janee and Great-Grandmother Storer joined us. Not only did we love having Gram with us cuz we love her, but she was in a wheelchair which moves you through lines so much faster! We made her go on all the rides with us and we loved her for being such a trooper!
To celebrate Megan and Haley's birthday, they decided that the beach was the place to do it. The waves were giant, but the weather was fantastic. It was a super easy birthday party for me too. Meg wanted cheesecake (which I broke down and bought) and Haley asked for Key Lime Pie. Ravioli casserole was also on the menu, although some of us were secretly hoping for their usual steak and crab legs. I was so nervous to have 2 babies, but 2 girls are just what this family needed. They are so fun to have around (even when they are super silly and driving me batty!) I can't believe they are 8!
Now things are back to normal. Christmas is put away, kids are back in school and I am back to procrastinating those little home improvement jobs. I love the holidays. I hate to see them end.







4 comments:
Your weather looks perfect, the events looked wonderful, and I am so sad that I wasn't there to be part of the fun this year. You have packed so much in to just a few short weeks, I'm not sure that I could have kept up...although, maybe I could have with a wheelchair at Disneyland and then Grandma & I could of had races! Miss you more than you know...and by the way, what are "crap" legs...hee, hee. I am sure it's a typo knowing Megan's choice in food!
Holy cow that was one busy month!
It cracks me up to see your skinny girls running around in their bathing suits! Do they not realize that it's winter?! :)
Happy belated birthday to your sweeties. I can't believe they are 8 either. It seems like just yesterday that they were in Ms Melissa's preschool!
Sheesh.
I love it when you come home, you always bring the fun with you. I like the spirit of Christmas in your eyes too...yikes...let's just hope it's the "good" spirit :) heehee! Loved that we got to celebrate with you and I agree...I hate to see then holidays end too!
I love your holiday celebrations! With singing, Disneyland, and the beach...how fun!
Post a Comment